Two posts in two days!
The overnight bus to Sarajevo was bumpy and slow, so i slept. The ride would have been beautiful; well, at least i imagine it would have been beautiful with all of the hairpin curves and small villages we went through. It was a night i was thankful I haven't sold my entire imagination to the television.
So here i am, in a city where archduke ferdinand was shot, that hosted the '84 olympics and then was under seige about 10 years ago. I recall the news reports on the issue when it was happening, but at a mere 8 years old i had no idea what was really going on: the UN in all of its glory :), a city with a tunnel under an airport as its only connection to the outside world, snipers reigning (sp?) terror on people, and buildings being shelled day after day for over three years. The city has recovered surprisingly well and its small, quaint, friendly feel seems to be back. Writers have described it as a city with "soul," and i like to think i'm beginning to get a small taste of what that really is. Even though the infamous Holiday Inn has been renovated, there are still bullet holes in its concrete. One cannot walk very far without finding where bullets riddled buildings and spots of red on the ground (sarajevo rose) show where people were killed. It is a sobering place where the past will not be forgotten but the future is looking bright
(cheesy ending? :)

5 Comments:
I think that's a good end. maybe it has to sound a little cliche once in a while. your blog looks a lot like my newly updated one. good choice.
so the plans to come to holland in April have been crumpled. I can't afford to come anymore and I'll be taking a spring course here. :( It would have been sweet to meet up wth you. Will you stay around there until december? ;)
it's like i'm there. thanks for sharing your experience with us.
morbid? Thats what comes to my mind. Although the 'teacher' says that it is good to remember the dead for it reminds us all that are fate is shared.
I wish I could see it. keep on keepin on
i had the same feeling with berlin. but i think it might be stronger in sarajevo, being so recent and all.
glad to share a piece of your experiences. keep on writing!
when are you coming back to holland? know what day, by any chance?
Post a Comment
<< Home